This position is responsible for guiding and directing the overall provisions of human resources services, policies, and programs for the entire company. Specifically, this position oversees and directs all recruiting, employee relations, benefits administration, wellness, change management and training programs for the company. In addition, the director is responsible for implementing, enforcing and administering federal and state employment regulations as well as corporate policies and procedures. This position acts as a trusted advisor to the executive team in regards to any items related to personnel.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Implement human resources strategies by establishing department accountabilities, including; talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, employee benefits, training and development, records management, wellness, succession planning, employee relations and retention, AA/EEO compliance, and labor relations.
- Provide expertise of human resources best practices by ensuring compliance with applicable labor and employment laws and regulations, as well as, regulatory compliance mandated at the federal, state and local levels.
- Oversee the employee life cycle activities (e.g., recruiting, onboarding, terminations, transfers).
- Provide leadership to Benefits Administration and company-wide wellness programs.
- Maintain the Equal Employment Opportunity Plan and program in accordance with the guidelines and policies issued by the Department of Transportation (DOT) Equal Opportunity Workforce Planning Council (EOWPC).
- Manage and develop succession planning and talent development initiatives.
- Effectively partner with various internal teams to manage employee relations and provide guidance on complex employment matters.
- Monitor and manage performance issues. Be a trusted advisor to employees and managers and ensure that the appropriate internal processes are followed.
- Coordinate on programmatic initiatives that drive employee satisfaction and productivity.
- Provide risk management consulting and proactively identify and analyze employee issues and trends.
- Maintain Company Policies and Procedures and make recommendations for improvements that meet the needs of the company.
- Develop company internal training programs and plans; organize training sessions, workshops, and activities.
- Develop and oversee the annual human resources budget.
- Establish salary guidelines for hiring and performance evaluations for each job within the organization.
- Assist executive management in the annual review, preparation and administration of the organization's wage and salary program.
- Update job knowledge by participating in; conferences and educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations.
- HR expertise
- Business acumen
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ethical practice
- Global & cultural awareness
- Diversity and inclusion
- Relationship management
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Construction industry knowledge
HR Generalist, Benefits Specialist, HR Support Specialist, Wellness Coordinator, and other HR rolls as necessary
The duties of this job will be carried out primarily in an office environment. Work is performed under limited supervision where the work assignments are subject to established procedures, practices, precedents, methods, techniques, or well-defined policies; the worker plans and organizes the work and determines priorities; and the work is generally reviewed upon completion for technical accuracy, acceptability of results, quality and timeliness.
Physical demands consist mainly of sitting or standing at a work station for extended periods of time, and occasionally lifting and moving light objects. Operates standard office equipment and a personal computer using company systems, databases, spreadsheets, presentations, phones, and word processing applications. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites.
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position. 40 to 45 hours normally.
The position requires up to 20% travel.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Human Resources, or other related field of study.
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certifications.
- Ten (10)+ years’ of progressive experience in human resources, including 5+ years of HR management experience.
- Strong working knowledge of federal and state employment regulations.
- Demonstrated success in all human resources functional areas within a fast-paced, technically focused environment is essential.
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbally and in writing, with the ability to communicate effectively to all stakeholders (managers and employees alike).
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills while exercising sound judgement
- Proven experience handling confidential and sensitive information with the ability to exercise discretion and show good judgment; honesty, integrity, and trust building behaviors is essential and required.
- Demonstrated success conducting comprehensive needs analysis, organization design and development initiatives, implementing change models and developing organization structures while proactively driving ongoing optimization efforts.
- Effective time management and organization skills .
- Working knowledge and experience with HRIS systems, preferably with Viewpoint and Keystyles.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Construction/Engineering background is a bonus.
- Masters Degree in Human Resources, or other related field of study.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
***THE COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY, INTERPRET, OR APPLY THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN ANY WAY THE COMPANY DESIRES. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES, INCLUDING ESSENTIAL DUTIES, TO BE PERFORMED BY THE EMPLOYEE OCCUPYING THIS POSITION. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE. THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP REMAINS “AT-WILL.” QUALIFIED EMPLOYEES WHO, BECAUSE OF A PHYSICAL OR MENTAL IMPAIRMENT THAT SIGNIFICANTLY LIMITS A MAJOR LIFE ACTIVITY, REQUIRE A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION SHOULD NOTIFY THEIR MANAGER OR HUMAN RESOURCES. ***